Advice on Thailand Visa Overstay Regulations

  1. Thailand Immigration overstay rules

Overstaying your visa is illegal.  If you overstay for a short period you will have to pay a fine.  However,  if you overstay for more than 90 days then it is a serious offence and the result will be you are deported from Thailand and banned from visiting again.  The length of the ban depends on how long you have overstayed your visa.

If you are caught overstaying by an Immigration officer, then it can result in being taken to jail if you are not able to pay the fine or have a long overstay.

From 20th March 2016, if you are caught overstaying by even one day, you will face a ban from re-entering Thailand of five years. If you have overstayed by more than one year, you will face a ban of ten years.

If you have a very long overstay and turn yourself in to the authorities you will have to go before a judge in court. The overstay fine is usually waived and in it’s place a smaller fine imposed.   You will then be held in the IDC ( Immigration Detention Center ) until you can arrange for a ticket on a direct flight back to your own country.  You will then have to pay a small fee to the immigration officers to take you to the airport and accompany you through Immigration, where you will get the blacklist stamp in your passport, and to the gate.  Your passport will be given to a steward on the flight and they will return it to you when you land in your home country.

How much is the fine for overstaying?

The fine depends on the number of days you have overstayed. The minimum charge is 500 Baht per day.  This goes to a maximum of 20,000 Baht for overstays of 40 days or longer.

The good news is that if your overstay is under 90 days and you  pay the fine  then leave the country then you won’t have any problem returning to Thailand at a future date.  There won’t be any black mark next to your name.

What is overstaying?

Overstaying is when someone resides in Thailand for a period exceeding the length of time they are permitted to do so by their visa or entry stamp.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not overstay.

However, the Thai Immigration officials realise that sometimes people make mistakes and book a flight a day too late or their plans change, a flight is cancelled and they have to leave a day late.  In cases such as these, with a few hours overstay, the 500 Baht overstay fine is usually waived.

If you are in a situation like this, don’t panic.  Just explain to the immigration officer when you are being stamped out of the county.  Apologise and you will be treated fairly.

If you have a longer overstay, for example, 1 week, then you will be required to pay this ( 7 days x 500 Baht = 3,500 Baht )  before you can leave the country.  It is easiest to pay when you fly out.  Again, explain the reason to the immigration office at the airport, then you will be taken to a nearby counter when you can pay the overstay fine.  Please ensure that you have enough funds to cover this. If not, then you may be taken to the holding cells until you can raise funds.

Children under the age of 15 are not charged a fine for overstaying but still get overstay stamps when they leave the country. Being exempt from the fine does not make them exempt from needing a valid visa entry or extension to stay in the country.

Consequences of overstaying your Thai visa

Please note that repeated violations of overstaying can hold serious consequences. In the event that you have had a few overstays, your passport could be stamped with a stamp declaring you in violation of the immigration laws and regulations of Thailand.

This stamp will label you as an “undesirable alien”, which could make travel and obtaining entry to other countries much harder than it should be.

Where is the Immigration Detention Centre?

The IDC is located in central Bangkok at the Immigration Office on Soi Suanplu, Bangkok.  This is where anyone who has been arrested for overstaying will be held prior to attending court and then whilst waiting for their flight back home to be arranged.

You can call on: 02 213 2369 but it is better to go in person.  Go to Building 5 at the IDC.  You will need the overstayer’s details: Name, nationality, age, arrest date and location.



1,067 thoughts on “Advice on Thailand Visa Overstay Regulations”

  1. Bonjour,
    Je vais partir pendant 33 jours donc 3 jours d’overstay, je voulais faire un visa avant de partir mais l’inconvénient c’est que j’habite loin de Paris 600km!.
    Qu’est ce que vous me conseiller de faire ?j’ai peur d’être refouler de l’avion avant l’embarquement avec lufthansa.
    Merci pour votre réponse.

  2. I have non b visa and my husband non o. My son is 1 yr old and 8 months and had a border stamp only. Since we are planning to go home soon after semester, and I don’t want to get him a proper visa. My son will overstay for 2 months.

    Will I get fined? We will cross the Sungai Kolok Border going to Malaysia not Airport. I heard Immigration borders have different way in executing the law. I am afraid they will fine us 20,000 or will detain me.

    I appreciate your comments

    1. Children under the age of 15 are exempt for overstay fines and also being banned from entering the country. So whilst your child should have a visa, there won’t be any fine to pay and you won’t be detained.

  3. My friend black list befor him go back thailand chang name passport
    Nowk him work in thailand mak work parmat after him have paroblam or not plzzz reply ?? Tanks you

  4. I have overstay of 11 days and have overstay of 2 days before during my 6months with my wife i have the fine money and a flight to loa how long before i can come back to thailand to apply for my marriage visa thanks in advance.

    1. You shouldn’t have any problem re-entering Thailand. But if you don’t plan to go to your own country to get a Non Immigrant visa. You will have to re-enter Thailand on a single entry tourist visa ( obtainable from either the Thai embassy in Vientiane or Consulate in Savannakhet and then change to a Non immigrant visa based on marriage.

  5. Hi,
    My visa on arrival is for 15 days and it’ll expire on 30th of August. My flight is at 11 PM on 30th of August. My question is do I’ve to leave Thailand before 30th of August( say 29th august) or is it OK if I leave Thailand before 11:59 PM on 30th of August? Thanks in advance


    1. If you have a greencard for the USA, you can buy a ticket for a flight to the USA and leave Thailand after you have paid the overstay fine at the airport.

  6. Hi
    Im overstay for 2 years.and now i wanna pay overstay fee and go back to my country.and before i get flight ticket , i called my embassy.and they told me that i can get problem at airport.immigration can wanna check my finger print about crime and i can miss my flight and i have to go immigration before get flight ticket and after they tell me that i can leave country , i should get flight ticket
    I have read many comment here and i have never seen anything like that
    What is your opinion about this ?
    Thanks for answer

    1. Fingerprints are now taken when people arrive and leave the country. If you have a criminal record and police in your country have notified agencies in Thailand then you will have a problem.

      It is better for you pay the overstay and receive the ban at the airport.

      If you surrender to immigration in advance you’ll have to wait in jail until a court date is set, then go to court. Then pay a fine and also have to buy your ticket home plus pay the fees for immigration taking you to the airport.

      1. I dont have any criminal record
        So i shouldnt face with any detainment or imprisonment situation at the airport if i have a flight ticket and pay overstay fee right ?

  7. Dear
    I am overstay 4 months and I have ticket flight to comeback,
    Did I go to airport and pay 20.000 baht or what I do?
    Thank you

  8. My friend has an O-A Visa for 1 year and has gone to Immigration every 90 days to get his book stamped.His Last stamp was done on May 21/2019.He and his Thai wife left to come back to the U.S. for Medical reasons on May 24th.He did not know he had to get an Exit/Entry Permit until he went back to Thailand August 5 whereby Immigration said he overstayed 117 days had to pay 20,000 baht fine right then and was escorted out of Thailand back to the U.S. and they said he was Blacklisted for 1 or 2 years they were not sure! Yes his error but how could he have overstayed as he was in the U.S. not in Thailand? Is there a way he can possibly get this resolved for him not knowing?He thought he would be able to just get 30 day Visa upon arrival and then reapply for a new visa?

  9. If I’ve overstayed by over 60 days but have a job offer, who will also provide sponsored documents, can I still apply for a non-b visa in Vietnam and be permitted entry if I pay the fine and leave country ASAP?
    The application process got drawn out for over 2 months, and I was waiting for an interview call/email for a long time each step.

    Should I print out documents showing what happened (including delays) along the way and show that to immigration at the airport and/or the Thai Embassy that I apply to?

    They are submitting documents to the BOI now to get papers ready for my non-b application.

    I know I’ve made a mistake, but know that it will never happen again.

    Thank you in advance.

  10. Hello,

    I’m visiting my family that both live in Thailand for two months (round trip air ticket July 15th-September 15th). I departed the US on July 15th and arrived in BKK on July 17th. I’ve already received the 30-day extension for my visa allowing me to stay until September 14th, however, my flight does not leave until 6:30am of the 15th which will cause an overstay of a few hours. Is this something I should be concerned about? If so, what is the proper recourse?

    Khob Kuhn krab!
    Thank you!

  11. My friend is on a 30 day tourist visa and has foolishly overstayed 5 days (genuine mistake). He wants to get an 30 day extension. What’s the chances?

    If he has to leave can he do a visa run type excursion?

    Thanks, any help or advice welcomed

    1. Assuming he doesn’t have a history of overstaying, then he should be able to go to his local immigration, pay the overstay and then pay for the 30 day extension.

  12. Im with my family traveling in Thailand with a visa of 3 months and it exceeds 9 days before our flight is there a possibility to extend the visa in the immigration office in Thailand? And if yes is it possible in any one of the office’s or just in Bangkok?

    1. A single entry tourist visa is valid for 60 days. This can be extended for an additional 30 days at any immigration office.

      After that you should leave the country. If you stay you will have to pay the overstay fine at the airport.

  13. Hello. How long would it take before a person get’s “flagged” and immigration officer does a “routine check up” of this person? If I overstay less than 3 months, will immigration officers come look for me? And if I do get “caught” before I turn myself in, will I immediately get arrested if overstay is less than 3 months and I can pay the fine? Thank you.

  14. I had zero days overstay in my passport but when I went out of the country to Malaysia and came back to Krabi by flight they would not let me in the country and sent me back. They said I had too many Thai Tourist visas and put a large red stamp in my passport. They did not fill out the part that says how long I am banned for and can not find one other example of someone been banned that has not overstayed any visa requirements. How long is the ban in this case and how do I find out if it has been lifted?

    1. Entry is at the discretion of the Immigration officer on duty. If they feel you aren’t a genuine tourist you can be refused entry. You won’t have been banned. But if you want to stay long term you should apply for the appropriate non immigrant visa.

  15. Hello,

    Hi I am on VOA in Thailand, and my visa expires on 1st of Aug, I had a flight ticket booked for the 1st of August. But the to airline issue, my flight is delayed and it’s rescheduled for the 2nd, would there be any problem ?

    1. There won’t be any problem. But print out the original booking & email from the airline showing the change, just in case you are asked for it.

  16. Is it possible for a person who overstays for a period longer than 5years and voluntarily surrenders themselves to an immigration detention center with the intention of returning to their country of origin, to be deported and not face jail time?
    Also would such person qualify for Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) Programmes?

    1. You have to pay for your own flight plus the court fine. Your embassy will be able to advise you about Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) Programmes

  17. Hi
    I need some info about flights in long overstay situation
    when you wanna leave thailand , do you have to get direct flight to your country ? Or can have connection flight as well ?

    I know if you re arrested by immigration, you have to get direct flight
    But if you wanna leave by yourself , they can let you go by connection flight or not ,i wanna know that

  18. The 15 days tourist visa count from the day you enter Thailand or from the next day?
    I arrived on 20th (00.30am) The tourist visa alloted is upto 3rd August.
    My air Asia flight is on 6th August.(00.10 am)
    This mean I will have to pay 1000 THB fine Or shall the officer waives off if I explain the reason?

    1. Day one of your visa is the day you arrive in Thailand – 20 August. The officer may or may not wave the overstay fee. That is at their discretion. But be prepared to pay 3 days overstay = 1,500 Baht total.

  19. Befor I stay in thailand over stay for my baby and my wife immigration banned me 10 years but I wan to go see my family how can my blak list fenesh now I saty my home 2 years 6 mo ths plzzz help me sir

    1. Your wife and child can go to visit or live with you in your own country. But if you have been blacklisted then you can’t re-enter Thailand legally.

  20. I overstayed for two days once last year due to medical reasons, paid the fine an left the kingdom.

    I want to apply for an marriage visa. Would it be accepted?

  21. Ciao! Ho prenotato un volo per una vacanza thailandese, un volo per Bangkok andata e ritorno con partenza il 23 luglio e rientro il 23 agosto. Mi accorgo ora che sono 31 giorni e che il visto turistico ne prevede solo 30. Sono preoccupata perché la partenza è fra due giorni e distrattamente non avevo pensato al rischio di overstay. Mi faranno partire in aeroporto in Italia? Se si cosa mi consigliate di fare? Di andare ad autodenunciarmi nell’ufficio immigrazioni a Bangkok? Cosa rischio?sono preoccupata! Grazie in anticipo.

    1. Dont worry. A lot of people make a simple mistake with the dates. If you have your hotels booked and flight ticket home then you wont have any problem visiting Thailand on your holiday. The first 24 hours overstay is usually forgiven by the Immigration officers on duty. If you want to avoid overstaying you can go to the immigration office near where you are staying at get your visa exemption extended. This costs 1,900 Baht.

  22. overstaying for 22 days, with total fine amount in hand, how much time it takes to clear immigration, flight already booked to leave thailand, can authorities detain me, before arrival i applied tourist visa, some papers where incomplete so i was asked to apply again with those papers but my schdule was fixed for a training, (not study) so i was having no choice then to take my passport back with VOID stamp, come to thailand on 14days VISA ON ARRIVAL , n remain on over stay for 22days, to complete training withot any break to come back n apply for a new visa.

        1. You can’t do a visa. When you try to leave the country or are caught by immigration officers you will be banned from re-entering Thailand for a period of time

  23. Hello My husband lost his passport in November 2018 and he got a police report. He was on a non O visa from my visa non b. My visa was renewed in February 2019 while he was still waiting for his new passport. We only got the passport back in July 8th when I personnally went to Malaysia to collect it. When we went to immigration with his new passport, they told us that he is overstayed and that he needs to leave Thailand. Please advise what we can do as we didnt have embassy in Thailand and had to wait for new passport from Malaysia.

      1. We are from Mauritius. There is no Mauritian embassy in Thailand. We had to send the documents to Mauritius High Commission in KL Malaysia. Also, when I went to renew my visa and stamp 90 days, I ask the officer what we can do for my husband who lost his passport, they told us its okay to come back when he gets his new passport. I informed the embassy in Malaysia that I had to renew visa but they only couldnt provide any emergency passport. The usual procedure took 2-3 months. Now that I flew and collected the passport and went to immigration to put everything, they told me my husband is overstay cannot give visa. I dont understand how he illegally overstayed since he had no passport and couldnt leave the country or anything else. Thank you for answering.

      2. We are not from Malaysia, but from Mauritius and had to send all the documents to Mauritius high commission in Malaysia. The procedure was to wait for 2-3 months but it took longer. When I did my renewal of visa I asked about ny husband lost of passport and what we must do. They said its okay to come back when he gets new passport. Now that we got it we went to immigration to put the visa, they said they cant and that he must leave because he overstay.

        1. The immigration officer has already told you that he has overstayed. So will have to pay the fine. Thai Immigration isn’t responsible for how other countries handle passport renewals.

  24. Hello! I am from Kazakhstan. My flight is on the 16th day of my arrival to Thailand, it’s at 1.20 am so I don’t leave the country before 00.00
    Will it be okay? Or is there a possibility of being arrested?

    1. Don’t worry Baknur. You won’t have any problems. 80 minutes overstay isn’t a problem. And you will probably go through Immigration before midnight and that is when you are officially stamped out of Thailand – not your flight time.

  25. What if a person overstayed, but he/she didnt know the rules as not been exposed before. Is there any ways to make an appeal in order to reduce the amount of fine?

    1. It is your responsibility to know the rules. When you enter the country your passport is stamped with the date you must leave by.

  26. I have non-b visa. I renew it every year (including every 3 month trip out of the contry). My son 3 years old and he has no visa (we’ve been told that it is not necessary). Can we fly domestic flights through Thailand with my baby’s overstay or there will be problems in airport?

  27. If one of my parents has over stayed in Thailand and is still over staying in thailand till today, will it effect me when i apply a visa for thailand? I have a clean record and no over stays. does a parents over staying in thailand effect their children when getting a thai visa?

    1. I have a question. I had an overstay of 2 years in Bangkok and had paid the fine. But I received a ban of 3 years. Now the ban is over so can I visit Bangkok now?

      1. Entry into Thailand is at the discretion of the Immigration officer on duty. You will have to satisfy them that you’re visiting as a genuine tourist.

        1. I have a question. I am overstay in thailand almost 1.5 year already. Now when I have some money I booked my ticket already today is 17 July and my flight is 19 july in the morning 9:30.
          I have only 7000 baht for pay fine. I need help what should I do? Do I go IDC tomorrow 18 July or what I should do?

          1. The fine will be 20000 Baht. If you can’t pay it, you will have to go to IDC, then go to court. Then stay in jail until you have the money to pay the fine and buy a new ticket to your home country.

  28. Hi, I am a Thai and British national. I entered Thailand on my British passport and overstayed 1 year. I have a flight to England booked and have the 20,000 baht fine ready to pay. Can I pay the fine at the airport and leave the same day or will I be held and miss my flight? Many thanks, J

    1. You pay the fine at Immigration when you are leaving Thailand. Check in, go through security, wueue up as normal. When it is your turn, tell the officer you have an overstay. He will take you to the nearby overstay desk where you can pay the fine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *